Between the river and the sea, come and discover paradise in Portugal
Odeceixe beach enjoys a natural environment of recognized beauty, in the heart of the Natural Park of Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina. The golden sands are bathed by the sea and the river, this river separates the most beautiful regions of Portugal, the Alentejo and the Algarve… In the North, the great cliff protects the beach and its extensive sand, perfect for a walk by the sea or by the river, to relax, breathe the fresh air and let in good energy ... During the low tide you can walk south and visit the caves and Praia das Adegas, the official naturist beach. At the top of the beach is the small village with some restaurants and bars, where you can try some of the local snacks, such as seafood, sweet potatoes and arbutus…
Praia de Odeceixe is officially the most beautiful beach in Portugal, in the cliffs category for the prize awarded by the 7 Praias Maravilhas contest in 2012. The beach is awarded annually with the Blue Flag and the Gold Quality Flag, prizes that confirm the quality environmental impact of the waters, sands, fauna and flora. Since 2017, the Water Element company has guaranteed the safety of the beach for 6 months a year! Through Lifeguards and their means, from the 1st of May until the 30th of October. By participating in the activities of the Water Element company, you are supporting the work and equipment of Lifeguards.
On the vast beach you can choose to rest in the area of parasols and enjoy a massage or yoga session in the evening. In front of the sea, the Atlantic waves break long and smooth over the sand banks, providing excellent waves for all levels of surfers, beginners, intermediate and professionals. In the Seixe River, with its calm waters, you have excellent conditions to rest, swim or explore this habitat, which is a sanctuary for countless species of water birds, residents or passers-by and for many species of fish and mollusks. To go on an adventure or romantic trip you can rent a kayak, canoe or stand up paddle board and go down the river to the village of Odeceixe. Above the cliffs and cliffs is one of the best coastal trails in the world, used by locals to access beaches and fishing grounds. This route is the Fishermen's Trail of the Rota Vicentina and is delimited and signposted. The Praia de Odeceixe circuit on the fishermen's trail has a total of 9km see route in pdf
On the beach and surrounding area it has:
- Lifesavers for 6 months, from May 1st to October 31st!
- Gold Flag;
- Blue Flag;
- Showers, foot washers and wc - Free;
- Bathing support with parasols, beds, massages and yoga sessions;
- Recreational support with surfboard rental, stand up paddle, bodydboard, kayak and canoe;
- Surf, bodyboard and stand up paddle lessons;
- Tourism Office;
- First Aid Medical Post;
- Handicapped parking - Free;
- Parking for cars and motorhomes - Free;
- Public phone;
- Restaurants and bars;
- Transport service from Vila de Odeceixe by tourist train;
- Access to the beach with a ramp and stairs and a walkway in the sand;
- Garbage collection.
When visiting the beach, pay attention because:
- Animals are not allowed;
- Camping is not allowed;
- Bonfires are not allowed;
- There is no ATM;
- Children should not go to the sea alone or be left alone on the beach as they can easily get lost;
- Sea conditions are constantly evolving, the flag - green, yellow or red - present in the center of the beach indicates the current conditions for bathing;
- The place indicated for bathing in the sea is indicated by two bathing area signs with a red and yellow flag at the top;
- Before practicing nautical activities, ask the Lifeguards about the best area for your practice.